At Hamptons Dental, we are able to offer our patients the best oral sedation in the industry. In addition to our massive range of high-quality dental services, we work to make our patients as comfortable as possible. For this reason, we offer oral sedation options.
Anxiety and nerves are common for our patients to experience before a dental appointment. This is why we continue to make oral sedation available. It can help to ease any spikes in anxiety and fear. It allows clients to relax during their one or multiple procedures.
If you’re nervous about your upcoming dental appointment, learn more about how you can get through it with oral sedation. If you haven’t made an appointment yet, learn more about this relaxation option and call us today.
What is Oral Sedation?
Let’s start with the basics. Oral sedation is NOT:
- An anesthetic
- A numbing agent
- A pain killer
Oral sedation is an anti-anxiety drug. It helps ease anxiety that many clients deal with before dental procedures. It is taken most often in the form of a pill. Patients can also be sedated by IV or oxide sedation (inhalation). These sedation pills are benzodiazepines, much like other anti-anxiety medications. Their primary function is to help patients relax so that their dentist visits can be fast and easy.
Oral Sedation Dentistry Process
Our practice offers a wide range of dentistry services, including:
- General Dentistry
- Family Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
- Emergency Dentistry
For anyone who requires oral surgery, implants, or wisdom teeth removal, we offer oral sedation. Our dental surgeons work with each patient to find a dose that fits their needs. Those who are on anxiety medications in their day-to-day life may require a different dose than those who are not.
What Do The Drugs Do?
These central nervous system depressants work on the areas of the brain that affect fear and anxiety. They activate your brain’s neurons that help with sleepiness and sedation. This overall produces a sedation effect. It could make you sleepy, or, in the case of higher doses, cause you to fall asleep completely.
What Does the Process Look Like?
For those using oral sedation to undergo one or multiple procedures, worry not. The process is simple. You will be given a pill prior to the procedure. Once it takes effect, the procedure will be carried out. You will feel relaxed, sleepy, and sedated, if not entirely asleep.
In many cases, you may be given a pill to take the night before the procedure. This is standard to ensure you get a good night’s sleep.
How Can You Prepare for Oral Sedation Near You?
The process of taking an oral sedation pill or IV is simple. It requires prior thought though, to ensure you set yourself up for success. The many effects of the drug can take a while to wear off. For this reason it is important to plan your day prior to the procedure. Here are some necessary things to consider prior to taking any oral sedation.
- Plan your transportation: While under the influence of oral sedatives, you may not be able to operate a car. Ensure that you are able to have a trusted friend or family member drive you to and from the procedure. If not, plan to take a taxi or rideshare.
- Expect the typical symptoms: Some people can be caught off guard if they don’t prepare for the effects of oral sedation. This includes drowsiness, memory loss, giddiness, and confusion. These effects can last for much longer than the procedure does, so be prepared to rest and relax following the procedure as you give the drugs time to wear off completely.
- Disclose medications: Be sure that our team knows of any medications you are on. We need to know if there will be any interaction between your medication and oral sedation drugs.
- Do not consume alcohol: This can be dangerous to your health if consumed in conjunction with oral sedatives.
- Hydrate: While the procedure may only last the morning, these drugs can take some time to wear off. As such, resting and hydrating is essential for the rest of the day as the drugs wear off.
Do You Need Oral Sedation with Hamptons Dental?
If you find that your visits to the dentist are fraught with anxiety and fear, oral sedation may be the solution. The benefits are that it can help you relax, which makes the process to move faster while saving you time and money. Dental appointments can be anxiety-inducing either way. Oral sedation eases your anxiety and helps the appointment fly by.
We recommend this option for those undergoing multiple procedures at once. Rather than have to sit with intense anxiety for a long time, oral sedation allows you to relax. We like to provide options like oral sedation that allow our patients to choose comfort for their long procedures.
Reach out to our team at Hamptons Dental today to learn more about oral sedation or to set up an appointment.